Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Thin Basing Solutions
TOPIC: Thin Basing Solutions
PM steve_holmes_11
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
steve_holmes_11
30th May 2018 02:16:37

I've been using the Litko 0.8mm ply with a 0.5mm magnetic backing for my 6mm lads.

The thin bases avoid the appearance of the little guys balancing on a gigantic plinth.

I'd live to find a local supplier to save on charges from Dollar conversion, HMRC import duties and postage.

Alas all my searches find are 2mm or 3mm MDF (Lovery stuff for bigger figures, but...)

Can anybody point me to a domestic (UK based) supplier of thin basing solutions.

Thanks

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
dourpuritan
30th May 2018 02:50:32

Must admit I do like the 2mm mdf.

A little goes a long way

PM njt236
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
njt236
30th May 2018 10:18:25

I'm also for 2mm mdf. Tried Litko but found them awkward and fiddly to pick up. I don't know of any supplier of 0.8mm sorry

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
LEmpereur
1st Jun 2018 09:36:57

We choose 3mm for basing with no magnetic under !

It's easier to pich up and the black and the black painted slice Lighten the basing and figures.

See here !

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
dourpuritan
1st Jun 2018 05:20:35

The three mil is a little too thick for my taste, but I do appreciate the ease with which the two and three mil enable the wee chaps to be picked up.

A little goes a long way

PM Harlequin
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
Harlequin
1st Jun 2018 07:33:12

Google '' Precision Wargames Supplies Ltd'' ( in the U.K.)

They do 0.8mm thick steel bases, if that's of any use.

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
Nick the Lemming
2nd Jun 2018 11:17:00

I tried PWS steel bases for an Austria Napoleonic army in 6mm, thinking they would look great. It was a real pain trying to pick up the bases. I stick wth 3mm bases now, much easier.

PM glosretriever
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
glosretriever
2nd Jun 2018 01:29:38

I am  currently using PWS steel bases for some napoleonics. PWS provide a good product, to order with quick turnaround times. 

In my opinion they do look better than thicker bases but I find that they are harder to pick up than thicker bases, even with magnetic sheet underneath them.  

PM mcolbert
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
mcolbert
3rd Jun 2018 12:54:51

Hi all, I'm just in the process of going the 1mm magnetic strips - the fridge magnet types.  Like others I don't like the look of chunky plinth like bases.  With the magnets I can use them on a wall mounted map as space will be at a premium next year and they will move smoothly on a table if need be. Another thing is when making images they can be hidden fairly easily.  My tuppence worth., :)

PM Laager50
Standard User
Thin Basing Solutions
Laager50
6th Jun 2018 03:01:36

Magister Militum do 1mm plastic bases

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass