Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Removing Paint from figures
TOPIC: Removing Paint from figures
PM JayCeeGee
Standard User
Removing Paint from figures
JayCeeGee
27th Nov 2023 11:15:39

Hello, not so much a post about applying paint, more about removing it. 

I'm looking for advice on how to remove paint from 6mm figures. Specifically Citadel acrylic. I've seen all sorts of videos involving white spirit and even Dettol. Any tips and techniques will be appreciated. I'm looking to rebase my old collections and of course I've changed my painting style and would like things to match.

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
27th Nov 2023 12:03:16

I would say life is too short but if you are firmly convinced to do it try this:

Soak in Dettol (1:1 mix with water) overnight or longer

This will attack the acrylic paint

It should lift off the figures with a toothbrush

Make sure you use detol to wash you figures and brush to get off the gungy paint residue as it clumps up with just water

You'll probably need to use a sieve to then rinse the figures under a tap to wash off the dettol.

It will be difficult not to bash up any loose bayonets or spears doing this.  Perhaps experiment with a few and report back!  

PM Rakkasan
Standard User
Rakkasan
27th Nov 2023 09:45:38

Good evening

I have to agree with jon1066 that removing paint is a bit of a time waste. However, I have removed paint in the past and may do so again.  First, watch this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBjt1wKZfc&t=1s

Yes, its focused on removing paint from plastic miniatures but the principles are the same.  You can use more volatile/toxic/powerful liquids to remove the paint but the ones used in the video are effective enough and can be used in the house without causing undue concern.  I use LA's Totally Awesome and Super Clean with great results on both plastic and metal models.  When I lived in the UK, I used Dettol.

I have found that a soak in very warm/hot water before applying the detergent helps the process.

So, I will place the minis in a bowl, add hot water, soak for about 30 minutes, drain off water over a strainer, place into sealable container, add detergent and water (1 to 1 although I have used straight detergent for really heavily painted minis).  Then cover and let soak overnight or longer (I left some metal Bretonnian knights soaking for almost a month).   I empty the container over a strainer then transfer the minis to a bowl of warm water to brush paint off.  Have a knife and pointed tools available to pick out paint from tight places.  Once I've gotten everything cleaned up, I then give a quick wash with some dish soap and clean water to get all of the residue off.  I let them air dry overnight and have been able  to start repainting them the next day.

As jon1066 says, damage is likely.  Depending on what forces you are working on, bayonets, swords, plumes, horse tails, slings, and humans and horses seperated from their bases will litter the bottom of every bowl or container.       

PM bushs
Standard User
bushs
29th Nov 2023 04:19:24

Hi,

Acetone works well with Citadel acrylics.

Soak for a bit in a glass jar. Then brush off with an old toothbrush.

6mm miniatures are pretty delicate so you're likely to get some broken bits like the responses from the chaps earlier in this thread.

Good luck.

PM JayCeeGee
Standard User
JayCeeGee
29th Nov 2023 08:05:51

Thank you for the responses,

My intention was to do a small unit at a time (a very old ancients range) and see how I get on.

PM Wg Cdr Luddite
Standard User
Wg Cdr Luddite
18th Dec 2023 10:47:07

Another vote for acetone (sometimes sold as cellulose thinner).Shifts enamels and acrylics.

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Brad1971
9th Jan 2024 12:54:38

Non Toxic Krud Kutter is my vote.  Simply get a container fill it with Krud Kutter put the minis in let them soak overnight next day remove paint with a toothbrush the paint just falls off no scrubbing even needed.  This is the very best for me and I have tried them all.  Can get in the US at any home improvement store.  Not sure if they have it in Europe.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD