> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > vallejo acrylics
TOPIC: vallejo acrylics
PM tdumontelle
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
tdumontelle
14th Nov 2017 03:26:08

Shake them hard  for a bit and roll them to mix them well.  I don't usually dilute them in water, but I do wet the brush a bit while painting to get the consistancy I want. For 6mm I don't dilute much at all.   I have run out of a few vallejo colors over the years, but they last years if capped.  I still have the first German Fieldgrau bottle I bought in 2002 and have painted many armies with it.  Also, clean the nozzle before capping.  Most of my paint loss has been when nozzle crud created a gap that let the paint dry out.

PM Elenderil
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
Elenderil
30th Nov 2017 08:39:52

If you haven’t used acrylics before then you need to experiment a bit.  I have settled on a system of pre shading.  I undercoat white (using a Halfords white aerosol primer) thena wash using GW Agrax Earthshade or Windsor & Newton Peat Brown ink.  I thin the acrylic paint to let the undercoat and shade show through and block paint. 

Others undercoat black and paint the high spots in a denser colour.  Vallejo is good for that as they have good pigment density.  You do need to give them a really good shake and I second the suggestion for a ball bearing in each bottle.  I have gone from old Humbrol Enamels to acrylics like you have.  I wouldn’t go back if you paid me.  The colours mix well and cover well.  I do suggest buying a drying retarder as acrylics dry faster than enamels although water works almost as well and you do get used to the shorter set edge time.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Whatever happened to the SYW? by Fireymonkeyboy
11th Dec 2017

Ottoman Turks 18C by Harlequin
11th Dec 2017

Little Big Horn by ironass
11th Dec 2017

Not Being Able To Order by peter
11th Dec 2017

Banzai Age of the Country at War! 3rd Edition by peter
11th Dec 2017

UPCOMING SHOWS