Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Polemos Campaing rules
TOPIC: Polemos Campaing rules
PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
25th Mar 2020 08:59:51

No problem , happy of your aswer but...

9) "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost."

the latter may fall back also if has yet moved in this turn ? yes

ok but a force that fall back can move the same turn if it doesn't yet or lost the movement for this turn?

10) ".... a unit within one hex of the point of contact, are present at the start of the battle. Troops within two hexes of the encounter may arrive later in the Battle."

as you say (see question 4) ... all the troops engaged move to the combat hex...

but my question is if the unit two hex far or one hex far the are engaged and moved to the combat hex, May, if they doens't yet,move in this same turn (or lost the movement for this turn) ? They can't move in the same turn, except if they are defeated and have to fall back further (see top of p.40); they can't move in the following turn if they were victorious.

ok this is clear after partecipate at a battle if you are victourious you can't move the same turn (and also the followiing turn of game ) but my question is;

Do you confim me that a unit that has yet moved this turn can partecipate to the combat if (one hex far ect.... or two hex far arrive later ect.....) exaclty ? 

OR 

Only the units (one hex far ect.... or two hex far arrive later ect.....) that has not yet moved this turn can partecipate to the combat ?

AND in any case 

without pay any TP, correct?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
26th Mar 2020 04:25:59

Hi Rudi,

1. Can a force that falls back move the same turn if it hasn't done so yet or has it lost its movement for this turn?

A.  It can move the same turn.

2. Can a unit that has already moved this turn participate in the combat if one hex distant, or two hex distant and may arrive later etc....? 

A.  Yes.

3. And these moves do not require payment of TPs, correct?

A.  Yes.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if it hasn't.

All the best

John

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
26th Mar 2020 11:00:47

-Thank you John, I am sorry for so several questions but in the games can appear a lot of unusual situation not clear with the risk to missunderstand the mechanism, so I have more details on previous question;

9) "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost."

the latter may fall back also if has yet moved in this turn ? yes

- ok but Can the falling back unit move in the same turn if it doesn't yet ? (I suppose that it can because this is a falling back to evade a contact, If were a falling back due to a lost a battle it couldn't, correct ?)

- ok but Can the unit fall back any time that desire (for example the attacking unit follow the "pursuit" or/and more enemy units enter in a hex adjacent ect.....") ? (I suppose yes , the opportunity to fallback to avoid an enemy contact is endless, so any time that someone arrive in a adjacent hex you can fallback, correct?)

- ok but Can the falling back unit move in a hex adjacent to one occupied by a other enemy unit? (I suppose no it can't)

10) ".... a unit within one hex of the point of contact, are present at the start of the battle. Troops within two hexes of the encounter may arrive later in the Battle."

as you say (see question 4) ... all the troops engaged move to the combat hex...

but my question is if the unit two hex far or one hex far the are engaged and moved to the combat hex, May, if they doens't yet,move in this same turn (or lost the movement for this turn) ? They can't move in the same turn, except if they are defeated and have to fall back further (see top of p.40); they can't move in the following turn if they were victorious. 

- ok but Can you define the "point of contact"? (I suppose that is the hex of the defender, correct?)

- ok but if a unit that is within one or two hexes of the encounter but have along his path for example a river or waterway, that can prevent to the unit reach the battle or produce some type of delay.....?

- ok Can we define in your opinion a "front" like defenders, with the consequences of; an enemy unit that withing one hex or two hex...that reach the battle moving through an hex that is clear our flank hex will be produce a "flank attack" so on our battlefiled the enemy enter in the our left/right side of the wargame table?

- ok but can you confirm me that a victorious unit lost the opportunity to move the following turn AND the same turn also?

11) "....A CinC may retain a number of supply points (TPs) equivalent to the amount generated for himself and his generals in one campaign turn (i.e. not including the D6 score), for use in subsequent days"

ok but the CinC may retain the TPs only for the following turn only or any following turn ? (ex: CinC during turn 1,2 and 3, retain the amout generated for himself and then decide the use all in the turn 4, correct?)

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
26th Mar 2020 11:41:33

Hi Rudi

1. Can a unit falling back to evade move in the same turn if it hasn't already done so? Yes.

2. Can a unit move in the same turn as losing a battle, even if the unit had not already moved? No.

3. Can a unit fall back any time that an opposing unit moves into an adjacent hex? Yes.

4. Can a moving unit continue to move if it has sufficient TPs to follow a falling-back opponent? Yes.

5. Can the falling back unit move in a hex adjacent to one occupied by another enemy unit? Yes, or at least there is nothing in the rules as written to prevent this.

6. Can you define the "point of contact"? Is it the defender's hex? Not exactly.  The example on p.39 indicates that:

a - The attacker's eligible formations are counted to the hex/square that the attack is made from, not the hex/square the defender occupies (otherwise only French Corps A would participate, Corps B & D would roll to enter and C would have no chance of reaching the battlefield). 

b - The defender's eligible formations are counted to the hex/square that the attack is made into.

7. If a unit that is within one or two hexes of the encounter but has along its path a river or waterway for example, can that prevent the unit reaching the battle or produce some type of delay.....?  I think the intention is that if the terrain is passable, then the unit can reach the battle and if it is't passable, it can't.  I would play it that a unit can't cross rivers and so on if that unit would normally have to spend TPs bridging it.

8. Can we define in your opinion a "front" like defenders, with the consequences of; an enemy unit that withing one hex or two hex...that reach the battle moving through an hex that is clear our flank hex will be produce a "flank attack" so on our battlefiled the enemy enter in the our left/right side of the wargame table?  I think yes, in some circumstances.  Basically, I think the idea is that all formations move to the battlefield by the straightest route. So looking at the example on p.39, imagine that French Corps A had instead of moving down and left, just moved straight down. If French Corps B does arrive, it should arrive on the left-flank of the Russians.

9. Does a victorious unit lose the opportunity to move the following turn AND the same turn also? Yes.

10. Can the CinC retain the TPs only for the following turn or for any subsequent turn ? Any subsequent turn.

I hope that helps.

All the best

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
26th Mar 2020 05:40:11

.... (otherwise only French Corps A would participate, Corps B & D would roll to enter and C would have no chance of reaching the battlefield). 

sorry but NO John,  if you read page 39 its write "French corps A,B and D are present at the commencement of the battle"  Corp C partecipate too but roll for enter... (Do you have Polemos Napoleonic Companion or other version?)  I asked you because I have also the franco-prussian version and you could be very surprise by the example in the chapter Encounter with Enemy that open new points of view about.......     :-(

see the attach please

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
26th Mar 2020 05:46:07

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
26th Mar 2020 07:27:31

1. Sorry Rudi, I can't see any attachment.

2 .... (otherwise only French Corps A would participate, Corps B & D would roll to enter and C would have no chance of reaching the battlefield). 

sorry but NO John,  if you read page 39 its write "French corps A,B and D are present at the commencement of the battle"  Corp C partecipate too but roll for enter... (Do you have Polemos Napoleonic Companion or other version?)  I asked you because I have also the franco-prussian version and you could be very surprise by the example in the chapter Encounter with Enemy that open new points of view about.......     :-(

Rudi, I am using the example on p.39 of the Napoleonic Companion.  I know that French Corps C can participate if it rolls to enter.  What I am saying is that this only works if you calculate the distance from French Corps A. It does not work if you calculate it from the position of Russian Corps 1 (French Corps C is 3 hexes distant from that enemy formation).  Therefore we know that each side calculates the distance from the hex that their own side occupies before the battle.

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
27th Mar 2020 08:23:44

ah ok :-) I understand 

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
27th Mar 2020 11:05:44

Great.  Just let me know if there is anything else you need.

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
25th Feb 2022 04:56:48

Here we are, after 2 years I come back on polemos campaing, I affine the rules and I made changes for accomplish the passage "from strategic to tactic", probably the most delicate point of any rules. Actually we are playing a campaing but I have some doubts about the supply.

the rules say that "During the campaign the army may establish forward supply areas which help the flow of supplies to the front. The forward supply areas must be within 10 hexes of a supply base, or another forward supply area, if this gap is exceeded all actions cost an extra TP Armies are designated to be in supply if they are within 10 hexes from a supply base or forward supply area. Troops out of supply count as shaken."

ok but my questions are:

1) a forward supply areas may be establish in any hex/square or only in a town/city like a supply base?

2) the flow of supplies to the front "travel" only along a road or in any hex?

3) forward supply areas may be establish more far then 10 hex of another forward supply areas or supply base, the consequence is simple that the units will not be shaken because in supply but any their actions cost 1 TP more, correct?

thank you very much Whirlwind

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
15th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
15th May 2024