Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Polemos Campaing rules
TOPIC: Polemos Campaing rules
PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
24th Nov 2019 09:52:32

Hello,

could someone help me with the campaing rules (franco-prussian/napoleonic), we tried it yestarday but we have a lot of dubs...?

thank you 

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
24th Nov 2019 04:45:00

Sure, I have played a few campaigns.  Ask away.

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
25th Nov 2019 10:31:57

ok, I speak about Napoleonic period version;

1) there is stacking in the game ? if there isn't stacking, may I move through other units of my army ?

2) the rules say ".....a game turn may beit may represent from one to three days of campaign time.", May I change to seven days of campaing time?

3) the rules say "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost." but if my force enters a hex adjacent to two hex occupied by the enemy, all two enemy can fallback? AND if they doesn't fall back and a battle begin, the rules say that "The battle takes place in the hex occupied by the force which has been attacked and the war games table represents this square", but if there are two hex, which is hex selected and who decided the hex the attacker?

4) we appreciate this campaing rules but we find a bug, perhaps we doesn't understand, this is the point more confused by the folks;  the rules say ".... a unit within one hex of the point of contact, are present at the start of the battle. Troops within two hexes of the encounter may arrive later in the Battle." but these units doesn't move in the "contact hex" they stay in own hex, fight a battle and then "magically" come back to the initial positions......so in the following campaing turn are in position that can be also 90 km(1 hex 30 km scale) far from the battlefield......??????

5) in your games how many hex would have a map of game that have 6 counters (army) in game? 20 hex x 15 hex works well?

6) coming back to the rules "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost." in your game doesn't tend to be inconclusive like a repetitive situation where at turn the players withdraw without combat??? (in our game we don't use this rule so we don't have idea)

7) If I play with 6 corps (counters) I have one tempo points for every corps (two if imposing general) more 3 tempo pints for CinC, but the CinC may have own troops (for example one corp)? in this case how the tempo points are counting if there aren't imposing genrals? six corps x one TP+3 TP CinC  OR 5 corps x one TP+3 TP CinC ?

thank you very much 

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
26th Nov 2019 08:47:58

I forgot;

8) the players know the name fo the units/counters on the map ? when enemy counters are in contact the players declare the amount of the force ? also if the defending unit decide to fall back to avoid the combat declare the amount of force ? 

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
26th Nov 2019 07:05:16

Hi Rudi,

1) there is stacking in the game ? if there isn't stacking, may I move through other units of my army ?

There is stacking.

2) the rules say ".....a game turn may beit may represent from one to three days of campaign time.", May I change to seven days of campaing time?

Yes.  The rules link time to map size, so for every 10 miles across one hex is, then a turn represents 1 day of time.  A 7 day-turn implies 70 mile across hexes.  A 5 mile hex implies 2 turns per day.  And so on.

3) the rules say "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost." but if my force enters a hex adjacent to two hex occupied by the enemy, all two enemy can fallback?

Yes.

AND if they doesn't fall back and a battle begin, the rules say that "The battle takes place in the hex occupied by the force which has been attacked and the war games table represents this square", but if there are two hex, which is hex selected and who decided the hex the attacker?

The attacker (the defender can reinforce the attacked force with the un-attacked force though).

4) we appreciate this campaing rules but we find a bug, perhaps we doesn't understand, this is the point more confused by the folks;  the rules say ".... a unit within one hex of the point of contact, are present at the start of the battle. Troops within two hexes of the encounter may arrive later in the Battle." but these units doesn't move in the "contact hex" they stay in own hex, fight a battle and then "magically" come back to the initial positions......so in the following campaing turn are in position that can be also 90 km(1 hex 30 km scale) far from the battlefield......??????

No, all the troops engaged move to the combat hex and then withdraw together from it if required.  The only thing I would suggest is that troops 2 hexes away who dice for arrival, but never actually do, move 1 hex towards the combat rather than staying 2 hexes away.

5) in your games how many hex would have a map of game that have 6 counters (army) in game? 20 hex x 15 hex works well?

Seems fine.

6) coming back to the rules "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost." in your game doesn't tend to be inconclusive like a repetitive situation where at turn the players withdraw without combat??? (in our game we don't use this rule so we don't have idea)

Yes.  So the campaign needs to have physical objectives to determine winning and losing.

7) If I play with 6 corps (counters) I have one tempo points for every corps (two if imposing general) more 3 tempo pints for CinC, but the CinC may have own troops (for example one corp)? in this case how the tempo points are counting if there aren't imposing genrals? six corps x one TP+3 TP CinC  OR 5 corps x one TP+3 TP CinC ?

Not sure I am grasping your question correctly, but:

C-in-C + 6 x Corps (all commanded by capable generals) = 3 + 6 +D6

C-in-C + 6 x Corps (2 commanded by decisive generals, 2 by capable generals,2 by plodding generals) = 3 + 4 + 2 + 0 +d6

C-in-C + 6 x Corps (one commanded by himself, the other 5 commanded by capable generals) = 3 + 0 + 5 + d6

Now, if you wanted to rate the C-in-C separately as a Corps Commander, that isn't how the rules are written but it wouldn't break the game if you wanted to change it.

8) the players know the name fo the units/counters on the map ? when enemy counters are in contact the players declare the amount of the force ? also if the defending unit decide to fall back to avoid the combat declare the amount of force ? 

Up to you. I think.  If you have an umpire, I would keep the strengths secret; if playing without an umpire, I wouldn't.  What I would do is place a limit on how big and small corps on the map can be (e.g. minimum 7 bases, maximum 16 bases or similar).

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
27th Nov 2019 03:36:02

Hi Whirlwind,

thank you very much for the answer, now the rules works well, anyway one acclaration more about the following question;

Up to you. I think.  If you have an umpire, I would keep the strengths secret; if playing without an umpire, I wouldn't.  What I would do is place a limit on how big and small corps on the map can be (e.g. minimum 7 bases, maximum 16 bases or similar).

In your idea an umpire check simply the amount of forces and the game is done with only one map? OR do you think that is possible play in DOUBLE BLIND GAME (see the attach) with this campaing rules ? 

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
27th Nov 2019 09:07:20

Sorry Rudi, I can't see the attachment. But I suppose that a double-blind game would work.

What I will say is that the campaigns are designed to be quite short.  If you want to do longer campaigns where supply and attrition and foraging etc. are important, then you will need to write rules for this kind of thing. 

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
29th Dec 2019 02:50:46

sorry yestarday we tried one more I have some questions please;

9) "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost."

the latter may fall back also if has yet moved in this turn ? 

10) ".... a unit within one hex of the point of contact, are present at the start of the battle. Troops within two hexes of the encounter may arrive later in the Battle."

as you say (see question 4) ... all the troops engaged move to the combat hex...

but my question is if the unit two hex far or one hex far the are engaged and moved to the combat hex, May, if they doens't yet,move in this same turn (or lost the movement for this turn) ?

PM Rudi
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Rudi
25th Mar 2020 11:57:23

Sorry but one of more debate is the interpretation of this, from the rules:   "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost. If they do not fall back, a Battle is fought using the Polemos rules that most suit the scale."

but the question is, the moving player move all the units and then you check what contact (and eventualy decision to fall back to the other player)  OR player moving a unit and immedialty the second player response to the contanct and then the moving player pass to his next units for moving it ?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos Campaing rules
Whirlwind
25th Mar 2020 05:26:28

Sorry Rudy, when the forum was bugged, I hadn't seen your questions.

9) "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost."

the latter may fall back also if has yet moved in this turn ? yes

10) ".... a unit within one hex of the point of contact, are present at the start of the battle. Troops within two hexes of the encounter may arrive later in the Battle."

as you say (see question 4) ... all the troops engaged move to the combat hex...

but my question is if the unit two hex far or one hex far the are engaged and moved to the combat hex, May, if they doens't yet,move in this same turn (or lost the movement for this turn) ? They can't move in the same turn, except if they are defeated and have to fall back further (see top of p.40); they can't move in the following turn if they were victorious.

Sorry but one of more debate is the interpretation of this, from the rules:   "If a force enters a hex adjacent to one occupied by the enemy, the latter may fall back one hex, if desired by their CinC for no TP cost. If they do not fall back, a Battle is fought using the Polemos rules that most suit the scale."

but the question is, the moving player move all the units and then you check what contact (and eventualy decision to fall back to the other player)  OR player moving a unit and immedialty the second player response to the contanct and then the moving player pass to his next units for moving it ?

The second; the second player chooses to fall back one square or initiate the battle when the opposing force enters the adjacent square.  So if you look into the example at the top of page 39, the French player already has 'B' and 'D' in a position to take part in the battle that the movement of 'A' initiates.

Does that help?

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024