Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Spearhead II
TOPIC: Spearhead II
PM rsjahn
Standard User
Spearhead II
rsjahn
9th Sep 2023 03:44:28

Playing again WWI with Spearhead II, I like to know, why is there no AI-bonus for flanking fire? Or is there, and I haven't seen it?

And a picture of my battlefield, early 1914, the Russians are coming from below, the Austrians from above. Both are going to secure the railway station - it will be a bloodbath...

Cheers,
Ralf

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Spearhead II
dourpuritan
9th Sep 2023 05:10:51

Well I have the rules but have never used them as they are too overwhelming in detail.

A little goes a long way

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Spearhead II
rsjahn
9th Sep 2023 05:38:25

Yes, they can be a bit overwhelming at first, I thougth that too. But I find that for most of the fighting you need only a small portion of the rules, and they are very straightforward and fast. 

Trench war is a bit more challenging, but in the end its 'simply' some additional rules. Well, maybe not that simple...

PM pushing.tin
Standard User
Spearhead II
pushing.tin
9th Sep 2023 08:04:48

I think the best way to tackle them is to start in 1914 with the more open warfare and work your way up to full trench warfare gradually. The rules get more sophisticated for each year of trench warfare as more weapons and tactics are introduced to try and break the stalemate on the western front. So start with 1914, then 1915,1916,1917 and 1918.

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Spearhead II
monk2002uk
13th Sep 2023 03:22:23

There is no specific AI bonus for flanking fire, so you have not missed anything. There are significant advantages, however, based on the existing rules as written. A flank attack will usually not permit the enemy to return fire. It depends on the attacking units being behind the 180 degree arc of fire of the defending stand(s). Or on the attacker fixing the defenders from the front. Either way, the flanking forces can move and fire without suffering the terrible consequences of being caught moving in the open.

Attacks along trench lines from the flanks are easier for attackers than direct head-on.

Robert

PM rsjahn
Standard User
Spearhead II
rsjahn
13th Sep 2023 10:40:44

Hi Robert,

yes, that makes sense, thank you!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass