> Forums
Reply
1
> Rules > Polemos Rules > FPW House Rules?
TOPIC: FPW House Rules?
PM barcah2001
Standard User
Posts: 26
FPW House Rules?
barcah2001
26th Oct 2022 12:48:48

Has anyone developed house rules for the Polemos FPW rules? Very much interested in hearing about them if you have.

 

 


Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Posts: 1244
FPW House Rules?
dourpuritan
27th Oct 2022 08:39:49

I am a solo gamer in the far north of the Netherlands, so needed a way of sorting out the bidding process. I use two D5s rolled against each other to determine how many points have been bid by the winner and loser. If a draw just roll again until one side or the other wins the bid, and the dice scores are used as the value of those bids.


A little goes a long way

PM barcah2001
Standard User
Posts: 26
FPW House Rules?
barcah2001
29th Oct 2022 02:21:04

Thank you for responding Dour! I like that suggestion and I'll use it now, modified with an additional plus or minus on tactical circumstances. Thank you. I saw your earlier query on the 1866 supplement. I 've played this a bit and have been puzzled by the Austrian +2 for combat, which suggests they were successful in attacking the Prussians. It seems the Austrian tactical doctrine called immediate column attack, which never reached the Prussian lines because they were decimated by needle gun fire. My suggestion would be to model this by giving Austrian infantry a free attack (no TP), dropping the +2 for Austrians and give the Prussians a +1 or even +2 for combat. 


Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Posts: 1244
FPW House Rules?
dourpuritan
30th Oct 2022 10:33:04

An interesting way of tackling two radically different tactical doctrines. Suppose the Austrians do get in though, as happened at Trautenau. I think the +2 is there if a skilful Austrian commander is up against a less than adequate Prussian commander. The Austrians were also successful in Italy, and again for the same reason.


A little goes a long way

PM barcah2001
Standard User
Posts: 26
FPW House Rules?
barcah2001
30th Oct 2022 05:12:54

Hello Dour! I'm concerned with the Austrian tactics and their ramifications, and leave aside the Italians for now as I haven't fought with them yet. Trautenau was a victory but the Prussians were ultimately trying to drive the Austrians from 3 hilltops and were led by their ablest commander, Gablenz. Even so, they suffered almost 4X the casualties of the Prussians, reflecting the other battles in the war. I think that, clearly, Austrian weaponry and tactics let to huge imbalances in casualties. How best to model this? My thoughts are to make it easy for the Austrians to attack and give the Prussians the advantage in combat and certainly in ranged attack. Before the war some Prussian commanders were afraid they would run out of cartridges facing the Austrian column attacks. Instead they first ran out of targets because of Austrian tactical doctrine and inferior rifles. Any ideas on modeling this? Do you agree?


1
 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Egyptian Chariots by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by peter
29th Sep 2026

Turnbacks on British SYW Soldiers by Wallenstein
28th Sep 2026

Formatting has returned! by MicroScouse
26th Sep 2026

Insertion Tools by David Kay
25th Sep 2026

UPCOMING SHOWS

The Other Partizan (Newark Showground, Newark)
11th Oct 2026

Fiasco (Royal Armouries, Leeds)
25th Oct 2026

Warfare (Farnborough Exhibition Centre)
14th Nov 2026-15th Nov 2026

Battleground (Stockton on Tees)
29th Nov 2026

LATEST RELEASES

miss - miss


WBT49 -  Churchill NA75WBT49
Churchill NA75

WGP88 - JgPzVI FerdinandWGP88
JgPzVI Ferdinand

WGP53V - PzVG Panther veteransWGP53V
PzVG Panther veterans

WGG06 - sIG33 auf berge HetzerWGG06
sIG33 auf berge Hetzer