Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > FPW House Rules?
TOPIC: FPW House Rules?
PM barcah2001
Standard User
FPW House Rules?
barcah2001
26th Oct 2022 12:48:48

Has anyone developed house rules for the Polemos FPW rules? Very much interested in hearing about them if you have.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
FPW House Rules?
dourpuritan
27th Oct 2022 08:39:49

I am a solo gamer in the far north of the Netherlands, so needed a way of sorting out the bidding process. I use two D5s rolled against each other to determine how many points have been bid by the winner and loser. If a draw just roll again until one side or the other wins the bid, and the dice scores are used as the value of those bids.

A little goes a long way

PM barcah2001
Standard User
FPW House Rules?
barcah2001
29th Oct 2022 02:21:04

Thank you for responding Dour! I like that suggestion and I'll use it now, modified with an additional plus or minus on tactical circumstances. Thank you. I saw your earlier query on the 1866 supplement. I 've played this a bit and have been puzzled by the Austrian +2 for combat, which suggests they were successful in attacking the Prussians. It seems the Austrian tactical doctrine called immediate column attack, which never reached the Prussian lines because they were decimated by needle gun fire. My suggestion would be to model this by giving Austrian infantry a free attack (no TP), dropping the +2 for Austrians and give the Prussians a +1 or even +2 for combat. 

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
FPW House Rules?
dourpuritan
30th Oct 2022 10:33:04

An interesting way of tackling two radically different tactical doctrines. Suppose the Austrians do get in though, as happened at Trautenau. I think the +2 is there if a skilful Austrian commander is up against a less than adequate Prussian commander. The Austrians were also successful in Italy, and again for the same reason.

A little goes a long way

PM barcah2001
Standard User
FPW House Rules?
barcah2001
30th Oct 2022 05:12:54

Hello Dour! I'm concerned with the Austrian tactics and their ramifications, and leave aside the Italians for now as I haven't fought with them yet. Trautenau was a victory but the Prussians were ultimately trying to drive the Austrians from 3 hilltops and were led by their ablest commander, Gablenz. Even so, they suffered almost 4X the casualties of the Prussians, reflecting the other battles in the war. I think that, clearly, Austrian weaponry and tactics let to huge imbalances in casualties. How best to model this? My thoughts are to make it easy for the Austrians to attack and give the Prussians the advantage in combat and certainly in ranged attack. Before the war some Prussian commanders were afraid they would run out of cartridges facing the Austrian column attacks. Instead they first ran out of targets because of Austrian tactical doctrine and inferior rifles. Any ideas on modeling this? Do you agree?

LATEST FORUM POSTS

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11
Ottoman Turkish Flags

AMN04 - Martu/Amorite ArchersAMN04