Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > GNW rules released!
TOPIC: GNW rules released!
PM peter
Administrator
GNW rules released!
peter
15th Dec 2015 02:31:04

After a time resting in the 'Out of Print' side of town, I am very pleased to able to announce the release of a new edition of the Nick Dorrell's Polemos Great Northern War rules.

The essentials of the rules remain the same from Nick's original set, the main changes have come in reformatting them to current Polemos standards and improving layout to make them easier to read and to use.

The rules are available in a printed format for £17.50 or on our Rules onna stick as pdf files for £10.00.   You can also download them from Wargames Vault.

The pdf version comes in two formats;  a black and white edition which is suitable for printing and a colour copy for use on tablets and smartphones.   The latter version is hyperlinked throughout making navigation and referencing extremely quick and simple.

The reintroduction of the rules also means that we can make another of our period starter boxes available.

If you fancy starting what is a fascinating and completely engaging wargames period, then look no further.  You can find more details from here.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
GNW rules released!
I am a spambot
16th Dec 2015 07:24:51

Sorry to go way off topic, but just as a matter of interest, are the hyperlinked versions of rule popular?  I have never liked the idea of using a PC in close conjunction with a wargame, but using a tablet might be a horse of a different colour.

PM peter
Administrator
GNW rules released!
peter
16th Dec 2015 10:15:53

Hi Richard,

Yes, the tablet versions are very popular indeed.   The great thing about them is how easy they are to navigate as every page links to either the index of the play sheet.   Both of these pages in turn have links to relevant sections in the body of the rules.  As a result moving between sections is very fast and very efficient.   I hope to get a video up in the New Year showing how this all works.

When we eventually get the app out to accompany the rules it will really mark a step change in how we manage our wargames.

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
GNW rules released!
I am a spambot
16th Dec 2015 02:02:02

Thanks Peter.  I have to confess being a bit slow to take up new technology.  I even resisted getting a Kindle until autumn 2014, when I got one to help pass the time on the bus ride back home from the UK.  Kindles, of course, are monochrome, although they do do colour tablets that you can use for books as well.

Something like a PC would be a pain near a wargame, but I imagine that a colour tablet might be no more bother than an A3 sized rulebook.

PM peter
Administrator
GNW rules released!
peter
17th Dec 2015 11:38:07

I would really reccommend taking up the combination of what tablet technology can offer wargaming.  It is about as far removed from being tied to a traditional computer and computer managed games as you can get.   As anyone who has seen the beta version of the app that we have been showing for the last couple of years will tell you, the possibilities offered are simply amazing.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS