Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > War of 1812
TOPIC: War of 1812
PM Hecoma
Standard User
War of 1812
Hecoma
12th Apr 2015 08:10:22

Hi kented

Thanks for the links.

War of 1812 is a good alternative to napoleonic wars. It's almost unknown in France. Recently a book was published, the first book in french language on this conflict :

http://www.bgedition.com/detailboutique.do?prod=BG155

For the mexican american war enthusiasts there's an another site by the same author :

http://thehallsofmontezuma.over-blog.com/

PM Harlequin
Standard User
War of 1812
Harlequin
12th Apr 2015 10:16:53

No problem with you being French, Hecoma, mon ami! I'm Scottish. We are old allies! Good luck with the project.

Do you have the Donald E. Graves books on the battles of Crysler's Farm, Chippawa, and Lundy's Lane? If not, then go on line to Abe Books. You're sure to find them there. That's where I got mine.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
War of 1812
Glenn Pearce
12th Apr 2015 11:49:50

Hello kented!

More good choices, great list.

Wherever possible I chose the British over the Dutch/Belgian line troops with one flag standard as the British have two flag standards and so did the Americans.

The only other thing I chose differently was for my Canadian Voltigeurs. I picked the Austrian Grenadiers in skirmish NAU16. I've not painted them yet but I think they will look pretty good with an appropriate paint job.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
War of 1812
Glenn Pearce
13th Apr 2015 12:13:53

Hello Harlequin & Hecoma!

I'm Canadian and so is Donald Graves. We consider him the "God Father" on the War of 1812. So if you want to learn about the war his books are outstanding.

Another Canadian Rene Chartland is considered the go to guy on uniforms, flags, etc. in his books "A Scarlet Coat" covering the British and "A Most Warlike Appearance" for the Americans. He has also done a number of Osprey books on a variety of periods.

I should also mention that I'm presently writing a Polemos rule set covering North American Wars 1754-1815 that might be of interest to you when it is released.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Hecoma
Standard User
War of 1812
Hecoma
13th Apr 2015 07:12:27

Bonjour les amis ;)

I'm glad for your interest in this post and I would like to thank you for your reading advices. 

Glenn : I'm excited to see what you've planned for Polemos rules. Any further information ? 

Harlequin : Indeed, 1295, the Auld Alliance ...

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
War of 1812
Glenn Pearce
14th Apr 2015 02:27:49

Hello Hecoma!

Glad to hear your excitied as I am as well.

Being a Polemos rule set the basing is 60mm x 30mm but you can use a lot of other sizes with minor rule adjustments. Their not as grand tactical as MdE or as tactical as GdD. They fit right in the middle and have a sliding scale that will allow you play any size of battle that matches your collection.

I think it's also the first Polemos rule set to have skirmishers and light infantry on the same bases 60x30.

They have been play tested extensively. We have played just about every battle in the period with great results. They all pretty much come down to the last few moves before a winner is realized. Great drama.

The rules have been reduced to a minimum so learning and playing is easy and fast. The average game is about four hours. The focus is to put the players in the senior levels of command so most of the low level stuff is taken care of. Still the ramafications of the decisions made do slowly become apparent.

Roughly 50 people have played them over the course of developement and everyone enjoyed them and wanted to play again. I could not ask for more. Hope you obtain them when they become available and get the same feeling.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Hecoma
Standard User
War of 1812
Hecoma
15th Apr 2015 09:21:37

Thank you Glenn, that's great ! Now i'm waiting my order from Peter.

PM Hecoma
Standard User
War of 1812
Hecoma
22nd Apr 2015 10:12:58

Hello

Any suggestion for the Scott s Brigade with the roundabout jacket?

Glenn : I am planning to use your forthcoming rules.

A 60mm X 30mm base = one battalion?

Have you a date for the publication?

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
War of 1812
Glenn Pearce
23rd Apr 2015 12:08:20

Hello Hecoma!

Your message is broken up, but I assume your talking about Scotts Brigade at Chippawa and Lundys Lane in grey jackets. I used NBR14, British Line in Belgic Shako.

Yes, the concept is one 60x30 base equals a battalion for most of the games/battles. So thats how you should mount and paint them. However, since the period covers a number of smaller battles as well you can use as many bases as you want to equal a battalion in those battles. You can also use more bases to simply build up your battalions for a regular battle if you want to add another dimension to the game. There is a sliding scale that shows in one battle a single base might equal a battalion. In another game two bases might equal a battalion and so on. Thats generally not a problem as most players will have extra bases that are different regiments but are wearing the same uniforms. I have painted all of the light infantry as skirmishers, 8 figures to a base. Since each pack contains 48 figures I have simply painted up a few extra bases of those for the games when I do want to use bigger units. The lights/skirmishers are also on 60x30 bases.

The publication date is up to Peter.  I can tell you that the writing is finished and I'm almost finished the first draft of the basic layout. From there Peter has to do the final layout and editing, etc. I hope to see it out as soon as possible, but there are still some hurdles to cross that will take some time. So sadly there is no publishing date at this time. 

It's nice to hear that you plan on using my rules and if you enjoy them as much as the playtesters you will have a great time. Thanks for your confidence.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Hecoma
Standard User
War of 1812
Hecoma
23rd Apr 2015 07:22:53

Hi Glenn

Thank you for your availability.

I think I am going to use 60mm x 30mm bases with the command strip + 30mm x 30mm extra bases.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
25th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS