Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Before starting a new projet : AWI
TOPIC: Before starting a new projet : AWI
Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Before starting a new projet : AWI
LEmpereur
26th Aug 2019 11:06:07

Thanks Dourpuritan,

We start with Freeman's Farm, and We take your reading advice for a next step!

Answer to previous questions remain usefull to complete Our Order... so for the battle Freeman's Farm : 

• When a regiment have several bases,  what is your choice: to put a command by base or command on one base and not on the others?
  • What type of regiment can be made with the reference "AWL01 - Loyalist Infantry- Formed" in this scenario?
  • We want to mix the 3 german AWI references (line, grenadiers and fusilliers) in the german regiment… is it good idea ? If yes, what is the ration ?
  • As we read on the Perry website for british troops, the Acland grenadiers regroup grenadiers compagny’s of different regiment. Is it the same for the Mengen grenadiers ?

Thanks for help!

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM Baron Clenawly
Standard User
Baron Clenawly
26th Aug 2019 11:45:55

Hello L'Empereur,

Regarding the 4 questions above.

Not sure on how the rules structure Units, so Glenn may be better with this than I.

Unfortunately I can not see the headgear worn by the Loyalist Infantry figures you mention.

Each of the Geman Regiments listed is about battalion size, Personally I'd model each one seperately.

The Mengen Grenadiers are made up of the Grenadier Companies from 4 Brunswick (German) Regiments.

Hope this helps,

Standard User
LEmpereur
26th Aug 2019 02:09:30

Thanks again Baron Clenawly for the Perry links... they was very usefull! Those pages give me au maximum of informations!

Yes Glenn help Us a lot, We hope he will do it on the bases structure! :-)

The picture of the loyalist infantry- formed is dark, but it seems to be round hat.

We are not sure to understand your answer on the german... but when you write "The Mengen Grenadiers are made up of the Grenadier Companies from 4 Brunswick (German) Regiments." May we understand that the Mengen grenadier's of are those of the 5 left wing column regiments?

Thanks for those new help!

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM Baron Clenawly
Standard User
Baron Clenawly
26th Aug 2019 06:32:24

Looking at the order of battle again it looks like Erbprinz Grenadier company remaned with the rest of the Regiment whilst the other 4 regiments lost their Grenadier companies to form the Mengen Grenadier unit..

If the Loyalist infantry are indeed wearing a round hat then I'm sure they can be used for Americans, either Loyalist or Patriot. I'd avoid troops wearing the Tarleton helmet  for Patriots though.

Standard User
LEmpereur
26th Aug 2019 07:48:36

Great!

Thanks very much!

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
26th Aug 2019 10:39:12

Hello LEmpereur!

It depends on what size you want to use for your battalions. The basic way is to put a single battalion on one base. Using that method your command goes on the same base. It's the easiest as it also matches the way Baccus sells their figures (4 battalions in a bag). So if the scale of the battle says use two bases you simply add another (different) battalion to use as your two base battalion. This way also allows you to build your armies as fast as possible. It also helps those who might have smaller tables.

The second way is to build large battalions from the start. The most popular is to use three bases for every battalion. That means your middle or front base has a command stand and other two do not. So if you stay true to the scale of the battle in the rules you will have a number of extra bases for all of the battalions that show one or two bases. However, most who use three bases for a battalion bump up the number of bases in the game. So those that have only one base get two, those that only have two get three, etc. See page 5 for "Base Ratios", you simply find a ratio that works best with number of bases that you want to use for your average battalion.

So if you have the table space the more bases you use for your battalions, the more impressive it looks.

Just to get started some people have built all of their battalions as one base and then slowly add the other two later.

In this battle Jessup's 150 men on two bases would use "AWL01 - Loyalist Formed". I also used the other two battalions in the bag for Monin's 150 Canadian's as Baccus does not produce (French Canadians) in close formation. During the campaign and perhaps even during the battle both of these formations could have been deployed as skirmishers. So you could also use AWL02 and SFR12 or SFR13 if you wanted to.

You can mix the different German troop types together if you want to but if I recall correctly the Fusilers were in seperate battalions and the Grenadiers were generally merged into their own battalions on campaign or pre battle. I mounted my Grenadiers into merged battalions and painted them all in their own colours of trim/hats/etc. Probably the best looking battalions I ever painted in my 50,000 6mm collection.

Yes, both Grenadier battalions were merged units removed from their parent regiments.

The hats worn by AWL01 and AWL02 are pointed leather caps with no peaks.

Hope this clears things up for you, if not please let me know.

Best regards,

Glenn

Standard User
LEmpereur
27th Aug 2019 08:18:33

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for all the time spent to answer Us, so pleasant to read you and learn so much!

50.000 6mm figures... that's impressive!

Thank you for the figures of Monin, we have not yet chosen ... and we are happy to have chosen this reference for Jessup by ourselves!

We like to have as more figures as possible... and We need to follow the Pomelos rules scenario because We are not good enought to make Our Own Battle Order. So We will follow the scenario and give colours to one base.

If We consider that the grenadiers of the brigades of the left column are united within the Mengen Brigade. We can build a base of fusilliers and a line for each Mengen brigade. Is it correct?

If this it is, who keeps the colors ... the fusilliers or the line?

Best regards

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
27th Aug 2019 06:23:03

Hello LEmpereur!

Your welcome, the pleasure is all mine.

I don't know the actual composition of the Brunswick battalions beyond generally having Musketeers and Grenadiers. If they also included Fusliers, I don't know. I think some German states that had both Musketeers and Fusliers generally kept them in different battalions.

Normally most battalions/regiments would not give up it's colours to only part of the battalion. So I would guess that they would always be retained by the main body of troops which would most likely be the Musketeers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Glenn

Standard User
LEmpereur
27th Aug 2019 07:45:22

Thanks again Glenn,

Musketers is "line.. is not it?

I am finishing to put references in front of each battalion... and I will publish it here before ordering !

Best regards

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
27th Aug 2019 08:23:43

Hello LEmpereur!   Yes indeed Musketeers are line troops in this period. By all means put your order up here first and I’ll gladly look it over for you.    Best regards,       Glenn 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay
4th May 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
3rd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS