Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Hail Caesar Starter Sets Size
TOPIC: Hail Caesar Starter Sets Size
Email Drake Poldragon PM Drake Poldragon
Standard User
Hail Caesar Starter Sets Size
Drake Poldragon
14th Nov 2022 04:07:45

Someone who has bought the Hail Caesar armies from Baccus. Am I understanding this correctly? An Infantry unit is 48 figures (so 12 strips of four figures), meaning that the army contains 156 strips of ACE01 - Celtic Infantry. And then other appropriate amounts for the other units included?

If that’s correct then a standard unit of infantry would be fairly represented with two bases of 24 figures each? Am I even on the right train of thought here? 

I was thinking of getting this and the Late Romam Army set to try out the new rules when they come. Experience of HV in 6mm? Advice for beginners?

PM peter
Administrator
peter
15th Nov 2022 12:49:17

Hi Drake,

Yes, your calculations are correct.  A standard HC close order infantry unit contains 12 strips, which can be organised either as two 60x30 bases containing 6 strips each, or three 40x20 bases containing 8 strips each.  

Speaking personally I prefer the former approach as 40x20 are the work of the devil and should be shunned, but each to their own.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM kaiww
Standard User
kaiww
15th Nov 2022 05:11:14

Hey Drake,

besides all the Devil-Bashing, and I doubt even he would be using 40x20mm , you should ask around, with people you might wanna play toghter later on, witch basing they use. Having the same basing as other you would like to play with is essential, at least it should be the same frontage.

After I discovered that I am the only crazy one, with 6 mm, in my area, i decided that can base my miniatures however the fraq I want to, because i will be providing all the armies anyway. So, in the end, I decide to base standard infantry with 36 Miniatures on 60mmx40mm base because it looks good. ;)

"My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself."

Email Drake Poldragon PM Drake Poldragon
Standard User
Drake Poldragon
17th Nov 2022 10:49:22

Kaiww, that's awesome advice. I'm in the same boat, once I've painted my Celts I'll order my Romans and eventually make my son play aginst me. (He'll probably play the Celts if I paint a leader like Asterix ????)

PM Leafs87
Standard User
Leafs87
18th Nov 2022 03:35:02

Hey Drake, 

I play HC casually, so I may be wrong about my interpretation, but I agree with kaiww -- having consistent base frontages for your units is what matters. 

And, like Peter, I prefer 60x30; I find it easier to base, and it provides more room for cool looking unit compositions, formations.  That said, my 6mm ancients use a range of base sizes, from 60x20 to 60x60, depending on the unit. Up to you! 

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
DuncanWB
18th Nov 2022 04:29:43

I'm a shunee, but I also use 120mm movement trays so three of mine can equal two of yours...

Altera Restat

PM kaiww
Standard User
kaiww
21st Nov 2022 02:45:58

@Drake

I am not Sure that Peter can provide Minatures for Asterix&Obelix but i had the same train of thouthg when i startet planning my Project. (Gallic Army = Asterix&Obelix) ;)

@Duncan

But i use one Base for One Unit in "Hail Ceaser" so that does not work *g*

"My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself."

PM peter
Administrator
peter
21st Nov 2022 10:31:56

'I am not Sure that Peter can provide Minatures for Asterix&Obelix '.....

Sadly I cannot sell them, as Mr Copyright comes knocking on the door.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
DuncanWB
21st Nov 2022 10:55:46

How about Vitalstatistix, Getafix or Cacofonix? 

I'm pretty sure I can manage an Impedimenta from the Celtic Civilians set. 

Altera Restat

PM kaiww
Standard User
kaiww
22nd Nov 2022 06:57:53

@Peter

I am not sure wich is upsetting me more, you showing me a picture that you actuall have these minatures or that copyright is preventing you from selling them to me. ;)

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay
4th May 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
3rd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by Talbot
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by jon1066
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS