Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Best Period to get into 6mm?
TOPIC: Best Period to get into 6mm?
PM bartorzech2
Standard User
Best Period to get into 6mm?
bartorzech2
24th Aug 2023 10:12:44

Hi! I've been looking at all the 6mm ranges for Baccus and been trying to figure out when I'll finally jump into this scale since I've mostly been getting 15mm scale miniatures. I think I'd be happy with getting into almost any period of history and am just fascinated by everything here, why yes I do suffer from extreme choice paralysis! So I've been wondering if anyone here would know which of the miniatures here would be the best to jump into first, perhaps some sort of period that won't cost too much for a complete set of two armies? I initially had doubts about WW2 in 6mm scale, but having found some great images of those online I'm open to it as well now. The only period I don't think I want to do would be Napoleonics but that's just because I just recently obtained some of those in 15mm and would feel too guilty for buying in another scale when it's not yet done, but that doesn't mean I'm against trying ACW or the War of 1812, or even some sort of other 19th century conflict. Ancients look fascinating as well

Maybe I should shorten this post here, what I am basically saying is I'm experiencing choice paralysis and want to buy 6mm : D. I would be buying to have enough for 2 whole armies that hopefully wouldn't cost too much, I'm assuming those matched pairs would help for that.

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Captain Brockman
25th Aug 2023 02:03:48

welll, i would assume you are a solo gamer...... if not find out from your friends if they have any interest in 6mm if so they may wish to also get started in the scale. which means only haveing to buy/ paint just 1 side of the conflict you will game

i would also find a set of rules you like.. there are loads of forums with people experiances / thoughts etc on this, along with youtubes on rules

some periods/sides  are easier paint jobs than others . ie acw union tend to be easierr to paint than rebs.. painting forces for a period you like will seem less of a chore

as for suggestions as to what period meh !! ............ i have none that you must not have already thought of

Valar Morghulis

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
25th Aug 2023 07:54:18

Really subjective thing.  Only advices:  Easy documentation, info about it, minis availability,  and the existence of big battles ( not that smaller affairs are to be discounted) 6MM is very good for big battles...  The rest is your own particular choice. Not bad to know your friends tastes too... Cheers.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
25th Aug 2023 08:34:10

Little Wars TV have produced a free set of Dark Age Rules, called Ravenfeast, initially with 28mm figures in mind. However, they have now added a big battle supplement using Baccus 6mm, focusing on the three major battles of 1066. They also wanted to present this as something relatively inexpensive to get into, and so have also drawn up a list of all the Baccus packs you need to be able to produce all three armies: Saxons, Normans and Vikings. They have supported this with YouTube videos, sceneic items suggestions and a painting tutorial.

My particular favourite era is third quarter of the C19th, particularly the Italian and German Wars of Unification. A Franco-Prussian introductory set would be a good way to get into this period.

If you hold off for a while the colourful period of landsknechts and gendarmes is on the way in the form of the Italian Wars, or you could keep it short and sweet and just do some US cavalry and Indians.

TBH though, once you are in, it is a slippery slope to try and get out - and that's not a bad thing.

A little goes a long way

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
25th Aug 2023 11:19:39

I have Naps and WW2.  Both are very different.  For the Naps it is all about the lines of troops and mass spectacle.  For WW2 it is about having something that at least resembles an "empty" WW2 battlefield.  So troops are dispersed and tanks don't have a huge footprint.  Very different look visually.

I would say go with WW2 and O group.  You could get a basic batalion of Germans and Brits at 2:1 (so about 5 figures per section), they paint up super quick and then you can add armour and supports, etc depending upon the battles you want to fight.

If you go with Baccus the vehicles are really lovely but do not mix scale wise with other manufacturers so be warned.  So once you go in you are all in! 

PM bartorzech2
Standard User
bartorzech2
25th Aug 2023 07:31:01

Glad to see replies! :D 

@Captain Brockman
Not a solo gamer, well, I mean I am the only one who buys miniatures but I can get a friend or my partner to play a game with me every now and then. Most of my miniatures are 15mm for like skirmish stuff since I don't feel the need to get too many miniatures for that and am then able to have enough for both players. Hmm, finding a set of rules first might be helpful as you say

@ironass
Eyup! I'm here for complete battles without having to spend a fortune. 
@dourpuritan
I've been looking for what you said, I have the rulebook actually but I don't see where the list of baccus packs are. Getting a guide for anglo saxons and vikings for ravenfeast 6mm would be nice as I was considering that period. If you kindly could link it, I'd be grateful. Italian wars does sound like an interesting period I haven't looked into yet, could be fun researching it.

@jon1066
I get the feeling that 6mm ww2 might be the least intense in numbers of figures needed to be painted for 6mm gaming, which for a start might be a good advantage as I get into 6mm. Probably the most affordable option as well then? 

After a day of thinking I think I might narrow down my huge list of possibilities to WW2, ancients (rome v carthage or maybe against celts... hmm I saw the Polemos sets exist for late republic but not for the early republic?), ACW or American Revolution, and Italian Wars of Unification as @dourpuritan mentioned (on that note, do you know any ruleset I'd be able to use for that period?). I'm not in a rush to buy, so I could hold off for that. With those periods in mind, I think I'll read up about rulesets online corresponding to those periods. This scale has me excited to try so hopefully I can get over my choice paralysis and eventually pick something to jump into. (I very much can be the type of person who takes too long to order something to eat)

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Captain Brockman
26th Aug 2023 05:29:55

I mentioned find a set of rules, due my own Mistake  I made...

I brought /painted/based wargames models, only to sit in the cabinet as I can not find rules i like for the genre

I love Game of Thrones, spent a fair bit of time reviewing  and searching before I found  a set of rules I was happy with...  only then did i seek out Figures .... Baccus are the only ones that came close to covering most troop types i wanted, even tho Baccus are not true 6mm  they are perfect for me

Valar Morghulis

PM David Kay
Standard User
David Kay
26th Aug 2023 07:19:53

If I was a bit younger with some more available time I would go for the Pony Wars era. It is unique and different and quite well suited to 6mm. It also has the capability of not being taken too seriously and besides the historical scenarios you can always play out those western films and TV series.

In the words of Clayton Moore and Doris Day: Hi Yo Silver and Whip-crack-away!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
26th Aug 2023 08:35:07

https://www.littlewarstv.com/members-only

Bartorzech2, this is the website for Little Wars members. If you are not a member it is free to join. Click on free stuff, scroll down to play the 1066 batttles for free, click on official Ravenfeast Website, underneath the three battle maps. On the opening page, to the left of the picture, is a menu. Click on Free Downloads. Scroll down to the third row where you will find 1066 Big Battle. Click on that to open all the free 1066 6mm info, including the Baccus packs to make up the armies.

A little goes a long way

PM Rittmeister_Krefeld
Standard User
Rittmeister_Krefeld
26th Aug 2023 06:15:20

for ravenfest just go to their website. the downloads are free and register free

http://www.ravenfeast.com/free-downloads.html

LATEST FORUM POSTS

1066 and all that by pushing.tin
6th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
6th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
5th May 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by horrorninja29@yahoo.co.uk
5th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
4th May 2024