Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Painting rythm and sustaining motivation
TOPIC: Painting rythm and sustaining motivation
PM jon1066
Standard User
Painting rythm and sustaining motivation
jon1066
12th Jan 2021 11:21:38

Having a dedicated painting area definitely helps.  A compromise is to have the particular paint, brushes, etc in a small set up so you can rapidly get out what you need to paint the strips you are currently on.  eg no point having to get out your full range of paints if you are doing Austrian line infantry.

I like to mix things up a bit so will do one base worth of infantry at a time.  For cavalry I do two base worth (as I use two bases for a unit).  I do the command figures at the same time as they add a little interest.  Once I have a few units worth painted I'll base them all up at the same time.

I then mix it up with different nations and also scenery like woods, making little houses, etc.  If I have an extended time to spare I'll try and set up a solo battle based on a historic scenario.  I found aiming for a small battle (with cardboard stand ins) then scaling up has allowed me to expand organically and still feel like I am achieving something.

eg the first battle with all the figures painted and proper scenery was a milestone.

PM philemon
Standard User
philemon
12th Jan 2021 01:19:58

Hi onyrevient,

...so russian cuirassier obviously ;-). Did not realized from the distance (A shame as when playing 15mm, long ago, Russians were the first army I built after my Frenchies).
In the meantime, I just waked up my blog.

I did not yet posted about motivation, but gave some contextual overview.

I plan to share again about miniatures, basing (for play and tray), modeling...
A way for me to find back motivation (as I will commit soon about my 2021 plans).
Here is a link : http://brunomodelcorner.blogspot.com/
I simplified it so to rationalize time cost (at a time I was posting in both French and English).

About rules, I bought PDF release of Polemos. They sounded really nice, and you could done nice job on bases and appearance ... but they require a space I have not available.
I'm more on General de Brigade and General d'Armee, downsized so to fit the few space (and time) I have for (solo) gaming.

PM philemon
Standard User
philemon
12th Jan 2021 01:25:35

About motivation, here is what makes me waking up after all this time ...

PM zabarr
Standard User
zabarr
9th Apr 2021 01:32:50

Conference calls! 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer