Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Terrain > Favourite 6mm Terrain Set-Ups
TOPIC: Favourite 6mm Terrain Set-Ups
PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Favourite 6mm Terrain Set-Ups
Whirlwind
15th Aug 2019 05:02:32

As I browse through a lot of 6mm games looking for ideas about how to improve the look of my games, what are the best 6mm set-ups that everyone else has seen?

PM bushs
Standard User
bushs
15th Aug 2019 08:29:06

Everything by Bruce Weigle. I also quite like the stuff on The Foward March studios website.

​

​

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
15th Aug 2019 08:56:31

Totally agree with the Bruce Weigle statement. Also the recent pictures of Poltava and the GWS2 battlefields that frequently crop up.

A little goes a long way

PM SeanDClark
Standard User
SeanDClark
15th Aug 2019 10:02:10

Per's GNW battles and Robert Dunlops WW1 games are awe inspiring. The Bruce Weigle are awesome. I particulalry liked the XXX Corps game at Joy of Six this year.

https://godsownscale2.blogspot.com/

The God's Own Scale Podcast can be found here...

https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
16th Aug 2019 12:32:13

I also think that Bruce Weigle's sculpted terrain is awsome (who doesn't). The down side is you need a lot of storage space and your constantly making new pieces if your into gaming historical battles.

On the other hand we also have Per's brilliant use of laid down terrain mixed in with a couple of specially made items. This system takes up less space and looks awsome as well.

So I think it's a tie for best looking presentations, with Per getting the edge for easiest to manage, create and versatility.

I used sculpted terrain (at a level much lower than Bruce's) for years and found they didn't age too well. Some breakage, warping, handling and storage problems all showed their ugly heads over the years.

When I switched back to laid down terrain I slowly upgraded what I have. Still no where close to Per's set ups, but it's certainly something that I aspire too. I gave all my sculpted stuff away and was sad to see it go, but I have no regrets, other than all the lost time I spent creating them.

PM bushs
Standard User
bushs
16th Aug 2019 06:17:38

Hi Glenn, I agree Per's work is very nice. I've been thinking for a while now that the hybrid chalk board concept examples put together by the bloke on Forward March fits very nicely between sculpted vs laid down terrain. Seems very practical for a midweek game at the club ie fast set up and looks good.

PM 6mmwargaming
Standard User
6mmwargaming
16th Aug 2019 08:06:00

What period? I think its always important to have identifiable features for the period. eg a castle in Mediaeval, motorway in Moderns, and so on.

I'd say dont scrimp on scenery - have lots of trees, buildings and hills and make some large and impressive pieces to create the impresion of grand scales.

Another suggestion is use light colours for the scenery and bases as it looks much better for smaller scales. Also match your army and scenery basing styles.

I made some terrain boards a few years ago and they looked amazing but were hard to store. You can do so much with boards with sunken features like rivers, gullies, ditches etc. I sold them but will probably make another set with what I learned from the first try. They will be lighter, less cluttered and have different sizes. You can see my attempts and some other 6mm terrain here (although some of the older stuff is not so great) http://6mm.wargaming.info/page3.shtml

Cheers

Kieran

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
16th Aug 2019 11:13:55

"What period? I think its always important to have identifiable features for the period. eg a castle in Mediaeval, motorway in Moderns, and so on."

I play a wide variety.  I genuinely can't think of any distinct period or location that is off limits...

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
16th Aug 2019 12:11:44

Re. Bruce Weigle's terrain, in his most recent rulebook, 1871, he shows how he also produces temporary battlefields using generic terrain pieces. Admittedly it would probably take a while to set up and take down but the pieces can then be stored and used again to produce a different battlefield.

A little goes a long way

PM Tom Dye
Standard User
Tom Dye
17th Aug 2019 03:05:00

Try looking thru this site. Be sure to scroll down: Facebook Page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/176263836362776/

v/r

Tom Dye

Tom Dye

LATEST FORUM POSTS

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11
Ottoman Turkish Flags

AMN04 - Martu/Amorite ArchersAMN04