Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > FPW Firing Rules
TOPIC: FPW Firing Rules
PM rsjahn
Standard User
FPW Firing Rules
rsjahn
14th Sep 2015 01:24:59

Hi everyone,

maybe someone can help me with with my little problem with the Polemos Franco-Prussian War rules:

The firing Procedure (p. 17) says, that both sides throw a D6, than adding and substracting modifiers; the result is then compared in the outcome table - that's easy, but:

what if the French open fire at maximung range (5 BW)? The Prussian maxium range is  4 BW, so they can't fire back. How do I resolve the firing? My guess: I'm only making a result for the French, and the Prussians get a zero (0). Or am I wrong? I'm a little confused here...

Update for a second question...

On page 23, Formation Morale - is it possible that something is missing in the Modifiers-table? Are the following sentence really complete?

1."per base that is" - shouldn't this be "Per base that is shaken" ?

2. "If the formation" - shouldn't this be "If the formation is dissolved" or something like that?

Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to me.

Cheers, Ralf

PM rsjahn
Standard User
FPW Firing Rules
rsjahn
22nd Sep 2015 06:45:13

Hi Mollinary,

I forgot that, thanks, I will give it a try!

Ralf

PM Bigpeteriley
Standard User
FPW Firing Rules
Bigpeteriley
22nd Sep 2015 07:25:10

Sorry its taken a while I have had some family issue to sort out.

Hopefully this will help?

PeterR

Formation Morale (Errata)
There were some omissions from the table and it should read as follows this:

Modifiers:     

Add Points:                                                    Plus Die 6:

Per base that is shaken     1                         Score 1 or 2        -1

Per base that has broken  1                         Score 3 or 4     Evens

If the formation is French   1                         Score 5               +1

General/CinC within 3BW -1                         Score 6              +2

Formation Morale (Clarification)

The Question (From Patrick Lewis):

In both the CdB and KdA rules the language for the Formation Morale test (CdB) and the Force Morale test (KdA) state that the test 'may' be taken when/if certain conditions are met. This makes it sound like the morale tests are optional and, if they are, I see no reason why anyone would voluntarily take them as no good can come from doing so. It seems to me that such a test should be mandatory and the word 'must' should be substituted for the word 'may.'

The Answer (From Dale & Peter Riley)

You are correct in your interpretation I think I used the "may" in terms of there may be a test involved depending on what happened. But the Force/Formation Moral test is mandatory, as you a Dale point out, in the cases described:

KDA If they have been in contact with the enemy.

CdB Where they have suffered a shaken result.

"Well, I can't stand around here doing nothing, people will think I'm a workman"

PM rsjahn
Standard User
FPW Firing Rules
rsjahn
22nd Sep 2015 08:55:31

Hi Peter,

thank you very much for the errata, of course this will help (perhaps it would be a good idea to make the errata downloadable in the website itself? Maybe a link on the Polemos-rulesite?)

But my first problem is still unsolved for me - its not about moral-testing, but about firing at long distance: the maxium range for the french is 5BW, for the Prussians 4BW; how do I resolve a firefight, when the prussians can't fire back, because they are out of range? Maybe I have overlooked something, but I can't find the solution for this.

The rules are great, by the way, I like them a lot!

Cheers, Ralf

PM Bigpeteriley
Standard User
FPW Firing Rules
Bigpeteriley
22nd Sep 2015 09:36:50

Hello Again

There would be a roll even if the Prussians are "out of range". In this case there will always be a -2 or -1 "Long Range" modifier for the combat putting the prussians (-2) at a disadvantage. The very worst that could happen to the French is when rolling 1 (-1 =) 0 and the prussians 6 (-2 =) 4 so the result 3 to 4 is a recoil and go to ground for the French.

The balance is that the French will take a bit of fright and move back as a result of the ebb a flow of fire combat. I have tried to make the ranged fire a kind of ebb and flow of combat model, with the opposing rolls, in reality I guess there would be more modifiers involved as you try to gain advantage, no combat is danger free. But you could also use a house rule, espcially if you want to make any out of range fire less effective when rolling in this situation. So a simple house rule could be in any case like this any negative results for the firer could be ignored. This would not fundamentally change the the average outcome.

Hope this helps

PeterR

"Well, I can't stand around here doing nothing, people will think I'm a workman"

PM rsjahn
Standard User
FPW Firing Rules
rsjahn
23rd Sep 2015 05:50:45

Hi Peter,

yes, this helps, thank you very much again! I will play around a little bit with the possibilities.

Ralf

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024