Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Advanced Squad Leader
TOPIC: Advanced Squad Leader
PM Stokviz
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Stokviz
11th Dec 2015 12:02:02

I (my dad) have a lot of Advanced Squad leader stuff at home. I've never played it before, a reason for that is that it seems the rules will take part of a lifetime to learn. But my question is, would it be desirable to play ASL with the new WW2 range coming up? Is it possible to mount them on bases that fit the board and does it work with the rules? If so that would be a reason for me to start learning those rules!

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Extra Crispy
11th Dec 2015 01:42:05

If you stick to the first few chapters of infantry rules they're really no harder than a lot of rules out there. I played a lot of Squad Leader when I was in high school.

I think the real problem will be stacking. How do you put two or three squads and a leader in a single hex? I don't think it would work on the map boards, unless there are versions of the maps with bigger hexes.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Whirlwind
11th Dec 2015 06:45:29

It definitely works.  If your dad has https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5292/streets-fire-asl-deluxe-module-1 then you can see how it is done; if not, you could probably work out the methods from the description.

PM Stokviz
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Stokviz
11th Dec 2015 09:55:01

Still the problem extra crispy adressed persists? how would I stack 4 bases? Or is that explained in the rules of the deluxe module?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Whirlwind
11th Dec 2015 11:03:27

Yes, it explains.  Basically (IIRC) they re-sized the hexes so that you could fit everything in under normal stacking limits and supplied appropriate map boards to show. 

If I were planning on doing this, I'd have a look at this module then get/make some hex terrain so I could make my own scenarios using the same sizes. 

PM Roughage
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Roughage
13th Dec 2015 02:14:33

Bigger hexes is the answer. These guys seem to be playing with 4" hexes, I think. I've seen some Stalingrad scenarios done in 15mm with 4" hexes and it looks pretty good.

'A stitch in time saves precious bodily fluids'

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Extra Crispy
13th Dec 2015 03:42:52

I wonder what the plastic 20mm figures are? Clearly markers of some sort. Still, not a bad looking game...

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM Roughage
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Roughage
13th Dec 2015 04:38:13

They are sniper markers. You can just make out the American sniper counter on the base of the one in the foreground. These guys seem to be stacking the counters on the bases with the figures. That is probably a bit less effort than the alternative I saw where the 15mm guys made sets of figures with the factors painted on the back of the base, so you needed one for each type of squad and half squad in the scenario.

BTW, I picked up this photo from the Facebook ASL group. If you scroll through the photos you can see more shots of the game: https://www.facebook.com/groups/advancedsquadleader/photos/

'A stitch in time saves precious bodily fluids'

PM Captain Darling
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
Captain Darling
14th Dec 2015 03:17:32

Why go to all the bother? Use the counters to play the game and select one of the huge range of rules for figures to use with your miniatures...

I've moved onto Lock n Load for squad level board gaming from Squad Leader I could never fathom the great volumes of rules ASL had...

:-)

"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

[url]http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au[/url]
[url]https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com[/url]

PM ithoriel
Standard User
Advanced Squad Leader
ithoriel
14th Dec 2015 04:50:02

I plan on using Blitzkreig Commander (aka BKC) with the Baccus WW2 figures ... assuming I ever finish my mountain of Sumerian 6mm figures!

Figure game rules for games with figures seems sensible to me :-)

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
25th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS