Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Age of Hannibal
TOPIC: Age of Hannibal
Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Age of Hannibal
dourpuritan
13th Oct 2018 08:33:05

Now here's something you don't see too often, a set of rules written specifically with 6mm Ancients in mind. There is of course SPQR, but I'm not aware of any others where the first scale in mind was 6mm. Age of Hannibal has been written by Greg Wagman, the author of the 6mm ACW set, Altar of Freedom. The rules are designed for the large scale battles of antiquity - Marathon, Issus, Cannae, Medway etc, up to the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Bases are 40mm square and represent approximately 750 infantry or 500 cavalry, but light and heavy units can be represented with more or fewer figures on a base, eg. the rulebook shows a base with 20 Roman legionaries in four ranks of five figures, pike/spear in three ranks of 6 figures, a warband of eighteen figures randomly grouped and a base of four light cavalry randomly spread about.

Supporting scenarios are being produced for the rules ( currrently there is a downloadable booklet covering the major battles of the three Punic Wars plus the rulebook has three scenarios featuring Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar) and random games can be generated as well using a system of cards which generate the battlefield, plus some nasty tactical surprises. Armies can be built to equal points size, but the points include unit traits which can be added, eg a warband costs 30 points, but you can make it impetuous for no points, fast for an extra five points, or wild charge for an extra five points. In one of the scenarios the Nervian warriors have all three of these traits. Officers can also have randomly generated traits from a selection of nineteen.

Movement and combat are fairly standard, with shooting and melee being carried out using D10s. A losing unit recieves a demoralisation marker (I intend to use casualty figures). A unit can also become double demoralised which can lead to problems because three demoralisations remove the unit from the battle. 

The rulebook also includes a section on sieges. The rules are obtainable from and supported by :

www.littlewarstv.com

They are available either as a download or as a print on demand from Lulu - which is on high quality, very smooth paper and spiral bound. Little Wars TV also has the scenario support materials including not only the scenarios, but also downloadable 6mm ancient town houses (free) and city walls, gates and towers ($8). These produce a very cost effective city to besiege, but also look even more spectacular with temples etc. added from the likes of Leven. Video turorials and battle play throughs are also available on Little Wars TV, and here the painted Baccus figures they have used look spectacular. Recommended for those who want to play the large battles of antiquity without too much hassle.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
Age of Hannibal
dourpuritan
14th Oct 2018 11:58:05

Having now read the rules all the way through, a few further thoughts:

* Each base is described as a unit as it shoots/combats individually. However units are encouraged to act together in groups. There is a bit of DBX in this approach, the difference being that you can read these rules through once and immediately understand how they are supposed to work. They are designed for fun and excitement, with a bit of unpredictability thrown in, rather than self-absorbed historical worthiness.

* Each army begins the game with a 'morale clock' set at 9. This is how many orders can be given for units and groups to move. As the game progresses and units (bases) are lost the morale of the army goes down, making it harder to use. When the clock hits zero the game is over.

* It is possible to rally off demoralisation of units to keep them in the battle line.

* Light troops, especially cavalry, seem much more useful in these rules. If they are accompanying a group of infantry, say by sitting behind the flank, but joined to the rear of an infantry unit, then when the infantry units of the group charge into contact with the enemy, the light cvavalry unit, as its movement is longer, can nip round and take the enemy in the flank.

A little goes a long way

Email SFCBear0998 PM SFCBear0998
Standard User
Age of Hannibal
SFCBear0998
23rd Nov 2018 08:39:58

These are the rules that I just purchesed.  I have had Hail Ceaser setting on the shelf for years but never had the urge to get into it... but the Age of Hannibal seemed like a lot of fun, and I do like the 6mm range better.  I am trying to down size and get my gaming stuff a little easier to store than my privious set ups.  

question about the basing.  Will the 40mm square work fine with HC if I decide to them in the future or what about other systems.  

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Age of Hannibal
Nick the Lemming
24th Nov 2018 12:59:26

They are great rules, I'll be doing a review myself soon when I get back from a family funeral trip. It's nice to have some flavours but still simple rules for the Punic Wars.

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Age of Hannibal
LEmpereur
30th Oct 2021 04:42:11

Hello all three!

We are painting, playing 6mm figures for a few years now, but not in ancient!

So looking for a rules for Our Favorite Periode, We bought Age of Hannibal and find this topic that We unearthed!

@dourpuritan : thanks for the topic!

@SFCBear0998 : We ask ourselves a similar question about the 4x4 basing which is not standard here! (read the recent topic about it)... We are sad that you do not have an answer to your question ... maybe for lack of question mark! ;-)

@Nick the Lemming : Have you done a review than We don't find here?

@AllOthers : Any experience of this rule to share?

Thanks for reading

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

Standard User
Age of Hannibal
LEmpereur
10th Dec 2021 11:56:50

Thanks for reading... if any answers?!?

We gone on on this project and some help is welcome!

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

Standard User
Age of Hannibal
dourpuritan
10th Dec 2021 02:02:49

My Ancient 6mm is on the back burner currently as my real love is the C19th. Currently awaiting a 6mm Austrian 1859 army to put up against my French using BBB.

A little goes a long way

Standard User
Age of Hannibal
LEmpereur
16th Dec 2021 06:10:14

Thank you for answering Dourpouritan!

:-)

Standard User
Age of Hannibal
LEmpereur
27th Dec 2021 07:46:42

We received Our Order and start Our Project of the battle of tunis, 255 BC !

All is here !

Standard User
Age of Hannibal
dourpuritan
29th Dec 2021 10:48:17

Very much looking forward to seeing how this project develops as it may well inspire me to take up Ancient arms again.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by jon1066
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024